DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Monday, February 23, 2009

DREAM ON...Zzzzzzzzzz


Chris, Brian, Peter, Meg, Stewie and Lois watch TV "Family Guy."

--Twentieth Century Fox


At the end of your life, you will never regret not having passed one more test, not winning one more verdict or not closing one more deal. You will regret time not spent with a husband, a friend, a child, or a parent. Barbara Bush (MILE 191)



DREAMS:

Sometimes I wonder if others dream this way. My slumber will initiate a story-beginning, real or imagined--or both. Somehow, or for some reason I then wake up. I'll call that chapter ONE. Then when I fall back under the sandman's spell, I'll continue the story, taking it up right where it left off. I must will this to happen, or it won't. The scenario is usually played out until I'm up and about. And sometimes I recall pretty much, if I do not leave much time lapse. Other times, well, forgetting is my forte. Ya know what I mean?

Just wondered if lots of people dream in "serial" format? About 40 years ago I recall having a 'drunk' dream, in which I spilled a quart of Early Times Whiskey all over my full dress suit just prior to a symphony concert in Music Hall. Even my shoes made squishy, wet sounds as I walked out on stage, and the smell!!! Wheeee!

I dreamed that every night for a blong time. And when I'd wake up, I would go back to sleep, and dream the same scene, right over from the beginning. Sometimes, even today, I think back, and wonder if that really did actually happen. I'll probably never know, as most of those guys are now dead. And I was not in condition those days (and nights!) to retain any reliable memory.

BLOGS:

Once again, I'm learning how important these blogs are--for most of us. In amongst the joking and the "B.S. in AA" (which I call my degree) I find a camaraderie unknown to me before, except in the rooms. I notice that bloggers are ever quick to jump out in front and be helpful. This is love, a free gift of time and effort.

Occasionally a blogger will travel far away from home, to just "be with" some of her (his?) friends. And this is love, the pure kind we give also to God, to just "be with" Him, not asking for a single thing, other than to be immersed in His love.


Others send packets of homemade items to bloggers who have only to ask for one. PG (Prayer Girl) received a box in December from Jenn (J-ONLINE), an assortment of hand-made (Jenn-made) goodies which was thoroughly appreciated. I marveled at this display of giving of material stuff. It is so easy to write to one: "Do this", and to another: "Don't do that"...but we're talkin' here about giving out of pure love for one another. In a way, that's how God gives to us--sobriety and peace. And He even "grants (that's 'gives'!) serenity" to some. "God, grant me the serenity...."

I'm tired tonight, just cannot think of anything to write. I do not want to fall asleep at my desk, or you might fire me! Soooooo....Love to all, from Steve E.

Here's a favorite Anthony De Mello quote to close:

Wisdom

It always pleased the Master to hear people recognize their ignorance.

"Wisdom tends to grow in proportion to one's awareness of one's ignorance," he claimed.

When asked for an explanation, he said,
"When you come to see you are not as wise today
as you thought you were yesterday,
you are wiser today."

16 comments:

clean and crazy said...

I have those dreams sometimes, then the kids will wake me up for something and in a half daze I get them what they need and then fall back asleep right where i left off. Then somewhere in the dream I start to hear in the background "DDDDddora the explorer.." .."You can lead the way hey..." they usually have nick jr. on and it plays in my friggin dreams as well. I love them they make me giggle. I am tired too I did appreciate Syd's gift so much it is soo cool, i feel special. night.

dAAve said...

For about a year (my 2nd year sober) I began my sleep with VIVID dreams (both good and bad). They would always wake me up. But they stopped then and didn't continue.
I no longer suffer from that.

Shadow said...

you writing is pretty clear and heartfelt, even if you're tired...

dreams? i serial dream. i have the ones that spell it out. i have the prophetic ones. i have them all at some stage of another. i guess it depends on my mind at the given time.

and with that, sweet dreams to you!

Mary Christine said...

My dreams have a life of their own that sometimes interferes with mine.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I dreamed last night too... I haven't dreamed in EVER SO LONG (or at least I haven't remembered dreaming), so it was weird.

I love the quotes...

Thank you for this.. I pray that my dream was a beginning, I really do.

Fireblossom said...

I dreamt that I was being persued by giant W's! Somehow, I had an "H" in my hand and all these W's were mad about it. Jimmy Durante kept drifting through my dream saying something about a "big dubbya". I have no idea. LOL!

Thanks for the visits to my blog. You are more than welcome any time, sober friend! :-)

Syd said...

Nice blog today. I have had those dreams where I can pick up where I left off (if it's a good dream). And I agree about the connection with other bloggers. It seems very real to me.

Unknown said...

Well here it is Shrove Tuesday and we're all at work and not living it up to the Fat Tuesday standard, hmmmm that must mean we're sober and loving it because I have such great blogger buddies...thanks Steve!

I too can dream in serial format, not every dream, but if the sandman is beating me then it happens much easier.

thank you for the great post!

G

david mcmahon said...

Came here from Fireblossom and enjoyed my first visit.

Fireblossom said...

Hello, Steve! Your letter for the meme is "B"!

mile191 said...

steve...thanks for the shout out. and for caring so much about me, whereever i am. you are an amazing part of my healing and living. thanks. for writing, for being where you are, and for being whereever i am. i do appreciate and know that you are a god given saint and angel in my life. thanks. i needed you today. glad i came here. hugs.

sarah said...

Hi my lovely, I really appreciate your blogs, have the capacity to lift my spirits, make me laugh, so I've given you a bloggie award, please stop by and collect it and thank you.) Happy day Mr.

sarah said...

Hi my lovely, I really appreciate your blogs, have the capacity to lift my spirits, make me laugh, so I've given you a bloggie award, please stop by and collect it and thank you.) Happy day Mr.

Zanejabbers said...

I would have sworn I left a message last night. Oh, well here's one. I don't know what the hell I might have said last night,
Memories ain't as sharp as they used to be.

Silver said...

there's always so much wisdom in a quite..

i'm here to follow to learn more, my friend!

smiles,
~Silver
from Reflections / One Day at a Time

Susan English Mason said...

Wow, I see some familiar friends throughout your comments. Found you through POTD. Congrats. It feels good doesn't it?