SIX OR SEVEN--WHO'S COUNTING
AT LEAST IT'S NOT 55 FRIDAY!!!
AT LEAST IT'S NOT 55 FRIDAY!!!
Clean and Crazy (aren't we all???) has tagged me for the following exercise in gratefulness...six minor wonderful examples of what makes me happy. I'll try to be brief, but you know me by now -grin!
SIX THINGS AND SIX PEEPS
1. Elderly couple sitting in Perkins restaurant, in a booth, facing each other. Each has that "glint" in their eyes, and each look as if they've been (like most of US?) 'around the block'. Punch Line: ...and they are TALKING with each other, and each is looking into the eyes of the other. This makes me SO happy, to be a witness to love which has endured who-knows-how-much in the way of challenge, change, and simply life. Life is BIG!
2. Happiness is wearing my gold cross. It weighs heavily around my neck. So I'm aware of it almost always. It is pret-ty large, and is the only gold I own, except what is in my teeth. I absolutely love, it. Recently blessed by a priest, it shines even more! This cross reminds me that my soul is "marked" by God, baptized (drenched?) in alcohol, chastened by chaos, paced for peace. And that same "marked" soul is continuously in danger of slipping and falling, in one way or another...in one place or another. ("If ya don't make mistakes, ya got no chance to grow" --me)
3. Seeing families walking together. We live in a predominantly Spanish/Haitian neighborhood, and frequently I notice a mother, father, and four or six little ones, --some in carriages--walking, who knows where, maybe to market? Or to the park?
4. Behind them a short distance are two adult Muscovy Ducks, followed by a dozen ducklings. The little ones walk, then run to catch up, then repeat. Walk, run, walk, run....and it is so like the little children trying to keep up with their parents. What pleasure to observe these neighborhood happenings.
5. I love having my own bathroom. And I'm not old enough yet to have my own bedroom--thank God! It is heavenly (a bathroom??) to have a place to call my own!
6. Music, especially Christmas music, really sends me into a higher plane of existence. I start playing the Messiah and the Carpenters' Christmas album in July each year. The heart becomes warmer. And change sometimes takes place.
7. (Ooooops, can you say "sixen"?) Last, in this too-short list, is the wonderful anticipation of "Who is waiting around the next corner--on the street, in the market, at the mall, a gathering, a meeting?" Who has God planned to put in my path today? And what does God wish me to do? Oh, the joy of knowing that He does have SOMETHING for me, or else I would not even BE here, sober, free, happy, serene, and enthusiastic about life!!!
Six Peeps I am supposed to select, to continue this business of "getting to know one another" in a more intimate fashion...but I cannot do that (choose people) comfortably. So please, whoever might enjoy this short simple exercise in Gratitude, join me in doing so. You are ALL invited. You are ALL thought of in a most kindly manner.
Thank you ALL for being here, I feel finally a part of it now.
Peace, and Love,