DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Monday, July 7, 2008





AN OLD ALKY,

(BUT I FEEL YOUNG!)




Many years ago, in early grammar school, my peers had trouble pronouncing my last name, so in second grade, I received the nickname "Alkaseltzer". Soon, that also became cumbersome, a mouthful, and my name then was shortened to the simpler "Alky". Little did they or I realize how predictable was their choice of my name Alky, which would last not only through the grade and high-school years, but for the rest of my life. My future, of a diseased mind and body, although not yet fully decided, was given its name at the age of 8.


Recently--2001--I celebrated with classmates the 50th Anniversary of our St Xavier High School graduating class. Sober then for twenty-some years, I immensely enjoyed being summoned by that same old name of endearment(?) "Hey, Alky, come over to our table and play something from 'Phantom of the Opera' on that violin".

A good time was had by all. They drank, I did not. I fiddled while Rome burned!

Steve E. (Full of humility today--yeah, right!--at least, that's what I tell whoever asks, "How are you?". =grin=)

No comments: