DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED

CALL TO JUDGMENT  

HERE HE COMES--THE JUDGE!

Only when I am elected by a majority vote of the people, may I be considered a judge--HA! Talk about a cold day in hell--(grinning!)  And then only after I have sifted through information, evidence, and supporting law and scrutinized testimony of witnesses, might I be able to make judgment, subject to review and higher judgments.

My 7 AM AA meeting yesterday was on the topic, 'Judging Others', and it got me to thinking how frequently I do just that. I can look across a crowded room, spot someone's eyes looking at another Peep. Immediately I know what they each are thinking, and I make a mental judgment decision-call of their behavior, past, present and future.

I have not been correct in those assessments one single time in all these years.

It is for me to judge only the ACTIONS, BEHAVIOR of others in the light of what I KNOW. (Or think I know!)

It is not within my 'right' to judge another PERSON. I CANNOT know exactly 'who' that person really is, except based on my own 'mirror' image, right? I have not lived any life but my own.

Being human, as I SO am...I judge, and judge, and judge when a Peep talks, or 'shares'. How Prideful, this kind of behavior. It deprives me of EVER hearing what God might be using that Peep to say to me. It also diminishes my own credibility in the performance of helping another.

Crap, I did not mean to get on a soapbox here. Maybe if I just quit gossiping (and only 'judge a little bit'?--grin!)

--by judge-a-roni

In SPITE of everything,
Still SOBER today
Still LIVING today
Still LOVING today

19 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles. it is easy to let our eyes and hearts judge...to make us feel better about who we are...as if what we think is final or matters...i always try to remember that behind them is a story i will never know unless i ask...and there is usually a reason behind those things i can not understand about them...

Crown of Beauty said...

Hey Judge-a-Roni...

This post is another timely one.

It connects to what I just went through.

Your words are wise!

So beautifully and so well said.

Thanks!

Blessings,
Lidj

steveroni said...

BRIAN: Yesss. Sometimes I believe only God understands...er--WHAT?

Lidj: See, here we are: I could not imagine you judging another, for any reason. Even MORE, I cannot ever conceive of another judging YOU!

And so another great mystery is born?

joanna said...

Interesting post Steveroni, I was reading just yesterday this quote and thought it so profound,,,
it seems to fit here,

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all." German aphorist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg said that, and now I'm offering it for you to use. Are you game? Try this experiment: For seven days, divest yourself of your
opinions. And I mean *all* of them: opinions about politicians, celebrities, immigration reform, rockabilly music, your friends' choices in mates -- everything. For this grace period, be utterly non-judgmental and open-minded and tolerant. Allow everything to be exactly what it is without any
need to wish it were otherwise. By experiment's end, you'll probably feel more relaxed than you have in a long time.

cheers,
Joanny
http://thedowsersdaughter.blogspot.com/

Tess Kincaid said...

Walk a mile in their shoes first, right?

steveroni said...

Joanny: Actually, this will not be real difficult for me...see? Oh gosh! Maybe I have a lot to learn here!--grin!

In any case--You're ON!

WILLOW: You GOT it, Babe!

secret agent woman said...

It's very human. But no one knows what's in another's heart.

Syd said...

It's hard to not form some kind of opinion. Sometimes I am much more accepting than others. I do my best to keep an open mind.

Kay said...

can't judge a book by its cover... but you sure can tell a lot by it...

never underestimate the power of judgement ;)

aka intuition.

Holland said...

You can only look through your own eyes and know what is in your own heart... the rest is a mystery and sometimes something that can be judged...only sometimes...;)

G-Man said...

It's a Judgement Call!!!

drybottomgirl said...

Thank you for this! I'm so glad I read it. It affirmed what I already know to be true...blessings to you!

drybottomgirl said...

Thank you for this! I'm so glad I read it. It affirmed what I already know to be true...blessings to you!

Laura said...

true, clear and wise advise...we cannot know what is in the minds/hearts of others and end up hurting them, ourselves and others when we shut down because of our often wrong judgments!

Toyin O. said...

I always pray for the grace not to judge others. Great post.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

Dulçe ♥ said...

I believe four mines out of five... in our lives we are judging... others behaviour, others by who they are, and especially ourselves...

have to work on that

Lovely lesson Veroni man!!
;)

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I just listened to an old speaker CD by Ed M. He was a good and wise man. He talked about judgment, and talked about experience.

Funny, I had judgment in mind today as well :)

Raven said...

I've been working a lot on judging over the last six months and I'm getting better at not doing it, but it still happens. It's a hard habit to break.

izzy said...

Yup, something I have to work on all the time ! I was going to add, try not to have any opinion -but Joanny said it first !