DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Saturday, August 23, 2008

DO-IT to BE-IT


TO BE--OR TO DO?


Who would have thought that simply 'BEING' would demand so much 'DOING'?

Ya know, I thought that 'BEING' trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent and 'BEING' serene, being at peace, being tender and loving--well, I figured these were all attributes of us 'human beings', attributes which I AM. NOT SO!

To be a truly sober and happy human being, I have to work at all these things and continuously grow along spiritual lines. Does that mean I must be a human 'DOING'? Well,, yes. For me to really BE, I must (WARNING, four-letter word ahead!) DOIT. I must work the Twelve Steps, sponsor men, participate in groups and meetings, set up chairs, volunteer to speak, drink coffee, oops--I mean MAKE coffee!--and allow a sponsor to help me put some balance in my life--and did I forget, practice those Twelve Steps in everything I do.

A speaker three days ago said that he wanted to cut back on his drinking, then found the miracle, cocaine...and so at long last he established balance in his life. He used to start the morning with alcohol, and then finish his day with cocaine. Now THAT THERE is real 'high-wired' balance! -grin-

So many of us human beings suffer for such a long time after we begin to practice these principles in all our affairs (not illicit ones!). For me, after fifteen years of staying sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I finally found the God of my understanding. He was with me all the time. I only had to look deep down within myself, and there He was! Big Book, pg 55, par. 3..."In the last analysis it is ONLY there that He may be found." (Caps are mine)

And I believe He is within EACH of us, every human being. With Him being so close within me, why oh why do I still suffer? Lack of faith? No, I certainly believe--by now. Maybe though, an occasional lack of TRUST...ahhhh! I'm still not 100% trusting--that He will do for me what is best, always. There is that lingering thought that maybe I yet can take over and run the show..."AS STEVE SEES IT".

So, I believe God is within everyone. So, I must love that part of everyone wherein I see Him, even when I sometimes cannot recognize Him there. And so, I love you ALL, not really because I must, but because I WANT to! And am I having FUN! Ask anyone around here! In fact, I find that some of us are uncomfortable when we see someone who really, REALLY insists on enjoying life.
Steve E.

6 comments:

Syd said...

There is some goodness is each person no matter how damaged. That goodness is God. Thanks for the message this morning Steve.

Laura said...

Hi Steve!

I had to look three times at who's blog I was reading...like the new look!

I love what you wrote...Lack of faith, No..Lack of trust! Boy, can I bite into that one!

Hugs to you.

indistinct said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind comment you've left on my blog. I followed the link to your blog and have enjoyed reading the bits I did. You use humour to teach. I'll be back.

If you want to add me to your blog roll, I would be happy. I'm going to do likewise, add you to mine.

One day at a time,

indistinct.

Lou said...

Yes, the DOIT part is the key. What a lovely week end message.

Zanejabbers said...

Good old time AA is what I just read. Still love the humor. Thanks.

Shadow said...

hmm, yes, that little bit in us that says i can control... bugger. wish it would go away. but to shut that up, ignore it for what it is, that is the difference to being sad or being happy.