DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SERENITY II

This is where I found Serenity--Ted and Laura's "POINT OF VIEW"
somewhere in the Colorado mountains.




WE WILL COMPREHEND THE WORD SERENITY AND WE WILL KNOW PEACE


Serenity in my life today seems to be more important than in the past. Maybe because I "didn't drink and didn't die" thing. That's 'staying sober and growing 'older' -grin-, but this peace which surpasses all understanding is something I've tasted, although rarely--during prayer and meditation, and even during turbulence (more rare!).
And I want MORE! So I'm reminding myself today...what I can do to gain that which brings me closer to my goal, which is to know God's will for me, and receive the power to carry it out.

"We are not saints. We are willing to grow along spiritual lines." BB, p.60


20 Ideas For Mastering Serenity

1. Serenity is a choice that I make with my own mind.


2. I am resolved to master serenity. I will benefit in multiple ways from being calm and serene as my usual way of being. As I focus on those benefits, I will be more motivated to master this state.


3. This moment is the only moment that exists and this moment I choose to be calm and serene.


4. All stress comes from the thoughts in my mind. Therefore the thoughts of my mind can release stress right now. Whenever I realize that I feel stress, I will immediately flow to a calmer mental place.


5. Whatever I focus on gets strengthened. I am strengthening my ability to be calm and serene by focusing on it.

6. Every calm and serene moment adds up. Every time I am calm and serene it makes it easier for me to be this way more often.


7. I will consistently talk to myself and others calmly and serenely.


8. Even when I am not yet serene, I will be 'serenely' un-serene.


9. This too will upgrade my serenity. Serene moments upgrade my serenity. And challenging moments upgrade my serenity by mastering the ability to flow from unserenity to serenity.


10. The nine word serenity formula: Be totally in the present with a calm attitude.


11. Whatever happened 15 seconds ago is ancient history. Let it go.


12. No matter how much I have to do, I will do each thing calmly and serenely. This will enable me to take care of things faster and more wisely. I will be alert and will do things with appropriate speed.


13. I will be in a state of serene empowerment whenever I need to experience a sense of empowerment.


14. I will be in a state of being centered, focused, and flowing whenever challenges with other people arise.


15. I will remember times when I have been calm and serene. I will picture what I saw then. I will talk the way I talked then and I will feel the way I felt then.


16. I will mentally picture the most calm and serene scenes that I can imagine. Since these images are in my brain, I know that my brain is always with me and I can mentally go to these calm and serene places whenever I choose.


17. I will learn from every calm person I meet. I will learn from their attitudes and patterns of speaking. Whenever helpful, I will mentally put on the head of a calm and serene person. This will help me think like they think.


18. I will mentally prepare myself for challenges. Whenever I think of a challenging situation, I will mentally picture myself handling the challenge calmly and serenely. I will do this calmly and serenely. Every time I practice in my mind, this becomes more and more my actual reality.


19. Whenever I need to become more calm, I will breathe slowly and deeply and I will repeat over and over again, With each breath I am becoming calmer and more serene. More calm and more serene.


20. Serene people accept what they cannot change and change what they can. Stay calm and serene during your stay on this planet as you gain more wisdom about what you can and cannot change.


© Rabbi Zelig Pliskin [based on "Serenity" by Rabbi Z. Pliskin]


If this is an infringement of copywrite, please let me know, and I'll remove it.

13 comments:

Shadow said...

hiya! what a great list of tips. i've printed this one out! it's going on my fridge!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I am grateful that today (as opposed to "back then," as in the early days) I can recapture my serenity fairly quickly. When things happen, like that situation at Monday night's meeting, I have a human reaction (hurt, resentment) and it might linger for a bit. But then I share it with someone, pray, and MOVE ON.

Serenity is good.

Anonymous said...

Serenity and peace of mind -"PRICELESS"

My mind is, unfortunately, like a sieve. Things tend to leak out. Hence, my need for repetition, repetition, and still more rep......

I need to read this frequently, frequently, freq.........

Banana Girl said...

I always forget that breathing part. Thank you for reminding me of that today. Where was that in Colorado? Looks like the view from my porch....

J-Online said...

This is wonderful. I'm going to print it out and stick it on my bathroom mirror! PG gave me that idea.

~Tyra~ said...

Once again a great post, thank you!

Unknown said...

Thank you Steve a Roni, this was what I needed today! The reminder and the picture is gorgeous!
Thank you!
Gabi

molly said...

i think it was a thich naht han reading that said "breathing in I calm myself" "breathing out, i smile"

or something like that..

shadow sent me over to visit this post b/c she knew i was feeling a little UNserene this morning.

thanks for the post.

Syd said...

The Rabbi is a wise man. Thanks for sharing more of his wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Serenity is a fantastic goal. I would recommend it to anyone, because it sometimes seems to be a rare thing, but maybe that's because I live in a city. Maybe it's because we have a fast-paced culture.

I like the photo with your profile on the side bar. Is that your ride? :)

Anonymous said...

I need a serenity upgrade.

Akannie said...

Okay-a-roni....

You're my new role model. xoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change brings instant serenity to me at times.

I wish the thought to achieve serenity at any given moment would come to me more often, especially when stressed.

Stevie, please follow me to my new blog. I'm deleting the old one:

http://tootstrac.blogspot.com/