DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BREAKNECK EXPRESSWAY

QUICK TRIP--QUICK BLOG

Monday and Tuesday I went on a short 3 hour ride to visit Firefighter-daughter-girl K. She has a good job, her own house, four dogs. One dog is named Chief, same name as her boss's title--who is not a newspaper editor, as in "Good morning, Chief!" K and her mother N share the same house, and also lots of stuff.

On my run up to her city, I must admit to traveling at a speed just above the limit--well, an honest program begs me to say, I went well--that is, waaaay above the posted limits. Seems to me a speed limit should be set by the driver, when there are none others in the area...within 40 feet, anyway. So, I told myself that it was high time--after 8,000 miles--to "blow out the carbon" as we used to say 120 years ago.

Once the carbon was blown out (is that when it feels like I've broken a couple of bones AND the sound barrier?) I couldn't get the bike to slow down, it seemed to have a mind of its own which said, "What's the difference between 90 mph and 95 mph?" As it turns out it's only about $140.00 difference. Let's see...well, WOW! let's double check that. OK, $140 buys enough gasoline for me to travel 3,500 miles. Hmmmm! I may have to rethink this whole 'speed' business.

Back to the topic--chocolate.

My daughter and I went on a five-minute grocery shopping spree, well just a couple small items, ya know? And one of our choices was a big box of red, ripe strawberries. The sign read $3...save $6. So, anytime I'm getting something at 33% of it MSRT, I'm IN! Anyway, they were LUSCIOUS! And my daughter's mother N (yessss, ex-wife (#3) OK? So NOW ya know...) heated up about a thousand Hershey's Chocolate Chip pieces, and they smelled SO GOOD aflame...and she burned the living "H" out of them.

Firefighter K came home, and was running for the extinguisher, when she saw she would be attacking a small bowl of "chocolates-en-purgatorie". So, another "pot-o-choc" was heated, and do you know, that dish of chocolate-covered strawberries was the best I've had...ever. We all three pigged out.

Went to an AA meeting with N, a disappointment. About 70 people around a circle of tables, with about 5 guys, (leaders) explaining the Big Book line-by-line, sometimes word-by-word. These fellows were "Joe and Charlie" wannabe's--and it was almost pathetic. You who know me, must realize that for me to describe it that-a-way--it had to be B.A.D. But it was a good lesson in the virtues Patience and Tolerance. So there IS a reason for everything, Santa! And we met a few people, made a few friends, spread a bit of good cheer, you know the drill. And I LOVE that drill!

Long ago, then-wife N had arrived at the door of AA one year after my entry, and daughter became a member of the newly-formed Alateen group in Naples. Yesterday we all three had a "Blong" of a long session, remembering old times: again, the good, the bad, and the ugly...and there were plenty of all three components. But it was fun, a family which used to live together--now good friends--enjoying, sharing, and catching up on times past, present, and a bit of daughter-future tossed in.

Twenty years ago, I could not begin to imagine a scene of us three sitting during an evening, on the same lanai, speaking in civil, normal tones, civil and normal words--words of tolerance, support, understanding, and yes, even of love...the love of God for us all. Next trip up there, Prayer Girl will accompany me...she's been there already. That will be probably in about a month.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be a part of those joining MC in staying sober today--whatever day this is..."I'm IN".

In love, and service.
Sincerely,
Steve E.

11 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Great Post...Living a real and sober life Steve
Linda

One Prayer Girl said...

I sure don't believe in having my head in the sand - can't stand the thought of denial anymore.

BUT......I think when it comes to cycles and speeds in the stratosphere, I'm ready to proclaim, "What I don't know, won't hurt me."

SO.....Next time,- - - - - - - 'Mr. crazy-speed-demon-aroni', please warn me in advance and I'll just have to force myself to "skip" for the day.

:) or :) - PG

Wait. What? said...

I thought your last adventure where you were almost run over cured you from driving like a crazy teen? The visit sounds wonderful!

One Prayer Girl said...

I sure don't believe in having my head in the sand - can't stand the thought of denial anymore.

BUT......I think when it comes to cycles and speeds in the stratosphere, I'm ready to proclaim, "What I don't know, won't hurt me.

"SO.....Next time,- - - - - - - 'Mr. crazy-speed-demon-aroni', please warn me in advance and I'll just have to force myself to "skip" for the day.

PG

steveroni said...

I will promise--no more "speed" stories...ever.

That does not mean my bike will abide by this message....it does have a mind of it's own....

But I'll try to tame it, or Mommy will take away the keys -grin (another cold day WHERE, you say?)

Shadow said...

wow, chocolate strawberries. you know how to live well!!!!

Judith said...

It's good to hear how we can make amends if our messy pasts.

I'll be thinking of you, Steve, when I am on traffic court next week.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Sounds like an enjoyable trip and dinner hon, outside the speeding ticket that is. (Hugs)Indigo

Mary Christine said...

Did you get a $140 ticket? Or is that just how much it would have cost if you got caught?

95 is WAY too fast. I think it should be a $1,400. ticket! Or $14,000. or $140,000. You catch my drift.

steveroni said...

Ouch I feel like a kid who is sent to sit in the corner wearing a tall, cone-shaped hat.

I got no ticket.

$140 is the difference between a 90 mph ticket and a 95 mph ticket.

And I get your drift...or draft. MC.
Thanks! It IS a bit fast, even sober
...or "especially" sober?

clean and crazy said...

awesome trip, i am so glad to hear good stories. there are so many sad ones out there today, this is uplifting