DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Thursday, June 18, 2009

THE OVER-EXPOSED VIEW II

From our friend's private top-of-the-mountain retreat: Whether Spring, Summer or Fall, this IS the view from our veranda Thursday morning June 18, 2009. And I am really sorry, I had no intention to deceive anyone. The only photo I had yesterday was a file photo, but I wanted so bad for you to see and share our view. Ego? Maybe. I don't think so.



ON THE AA ROAD IN NORTH CAROLINA


Thursday, a guy needed a ride to a noon meeting. While driving there I asked him how long he had been sober. He answered exactly: "Three months sober.......but I had a sip of wine last night, because my mother would have felt out of place if I didn't join her--and she drinks lots of wine, and I live with her!"


Needless to say, we had an interesting ride to the meeting place--AND a great meeting!

Details are not necessary here, but my gosh, it reminded me of the insanity which IS alcoholism. Partly, it is the mental condition of a person who is paying $1,200 fine for DUI, has lost his license for a year, has been to rehab, and claims (honestly?) to be a real alcoholic, and figures a "sip of wine" is not "drinking".


It was actually FUN talking with this guy, practicing our principles, carrying the message. Prayer Girl was a part of this scenario. The "fun" part was in realizing that another day--AGAIN--God had shown us that our trip IS a part of His plan.

Each day I ask Him (right out of bed, on my knees) to use me if He wishes, to help someone...anyone. And I tell you, He has been busy in our lives this past week. As you might guess--as if you'd even bother--I am no saint! -BIG GRIN! But God doesn't need only saints to do His work. Anyone qualifies, so join in, dive off the high board, at least get wet. Take the risk (whatever that might be) , and reach out to touch someone. It CAN actually be fun! I know this.


WHEN DID YOU HAVE YOUR LAST DRINK?


Thursday after our noon meeting (don't believe I could stay in a group which let meetings go on for a half hour over (my) usual one hour), we drove to Asheville NC, to have a coffee-and-pastry visit with blogger catvibe (or, "cat" as she is called) It was such a neat experience--again--to meet and greet a fellow blogger who I read every day, as one of my favorites. She is a pretty nice (that's "pretty" AND "nice") young lady, and we enjoyed a most favorable couple hours in her company.


At one point, I leaned over and "stage-whispered" to her, "How long you been sober?" She had me repeat the question, as if I had not gotten through to her auditory nerve. So, with patrons nearby, I whispered more loudly, "How long you been sober?" This time she understood me and answered (as if I might be crazy?), "Probably since last night. I drink!" (Holy Sewage!)

All this time I thought we were meeting with another alcoholic, and I had locked us into meeting, of all things--a NORMIE!!! We laughed and laughed about that. It is just so--I want to say--"unique", to meet with a stranger who is really no stranger at all. We joked and all three of us liked one another immediately.

I had walked outside the West Side Bakery for a minute, saw a strange girl alone, and said to her, "Hi, Cat!" She turned and said, "Steve???", and I got a huge hug before we were "properly" introduced-grin! NOTE: This old man likes 'hugs', that part of Step Six is on hold ("...some things we cannot give up...") until I'm on my deathbed. I imagine that even then, yep...even then...........(sigh!)

Needless to say, but I'll say it. We had a wonderful short and sweet visit, Anna, Cat, and I, and we each got to know another human well-worth knowing. Thank You God, again. In gratitude, I sit here now, preparing for whatever God might have in store for us tomorrow. I KNOW it will be something, He might allow us to 'see' it. Maybe?

Hey, bloggers, thank you for visiting my mind today. I certainly hope God blesses you all, with

Peace, and Love.
Steve E

13 comments:

Shadow said...

you're right, it's a stunning view. have a good weekend steve!

Catherine Vibert said...

It was such a wonderful meeting! And the weather show was incredible, the way the storm blew through while we were in there. I heard on the news that it caused major damage in West Asheville where we were. Trees were downed all over! Thankfully no one was hurt, but as you know, traffic was snarled for hours, and the power will be out until to day around 5 o'clock!

Ed G. said...

Just due to the circumstances in my life, I don't have many relationships with "normies" but I am, like you, occasionally jarred out of my ego by realizing that many people don't have to drink themselves to the verge of death or insanity to have a spiritual experience and engage in life.

To me these occurrences are phenomena.

Blessings and aloha...

Wait. What? said...

Absolutely wonderful reading about your travels and meetings!

clean and crazy said...

awesome picture, i just love you guys sharing this journey with us, it is like we get to go with you!!

Anonymous said...

What an exciting life you lead! Beautiful views, beautiful people, beautiful experiences....

See you soon :)

One Prayer Girl said...

AND THIS IS THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH SO HELP US GOD!!!

ME

Syd said...

Steve, thanks for sharing this. I drank a Foster's the other day and it took me six hours to drink the pint. I guess that I'm a normie for sure.

Carol said...

I agree with the rest, we get to enjoy your day with you, very cool!

Barbra said...

The view looks wonderful! You are having interesting meetings!
Drive safely!
Blessings,
Barbra

Andrew said...

Thanks for writing Steve. I'm glad you guys are having such a great trip.

Andrew.

Mary Christine said...

That looks absolutely lovely.

garden-variety drunk said...

this is gorgeous. it makes me want to run out and find some expansive nature of my own. the presence of my Creator is never closer than seeing the beauty of His creation :)