DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Saturday, June 6, 2009

A YEAR FOR "ONE", A DAY FOR "ANOTHER"

A YEAR FOR "ONE", A DAY FOR "ANOTHER"

I cannot write that every day of mine is as follows, but so many are, that I thought they deserved a blog. Please understand, this is not about ME, any long-timer could be writing an identical blog. This is about living an AA Way of Life.

AN AA YEAR FOR MARY C
ONE SOBER ALCOHOLIC

Before starting, I wish to notify those who may not know, that my very favorite blogger Mary Christine has begun to blog each of her soon-to-be TWENTY-FIVE Sober-in-Alcoholics Anonymous-years, beginning with year ONE in 1983. Today (Saturday) is blogged her fourth sober year. If you peeps are not reading this, you are missing some good solid recovery stuff, some "Learning-the-HARD-WAY" stuff, some "Do Not Drink No Matter What" stuff. Take this blog to the bank, I've been there, also done those things and for whatever reason, God has decided that Mary C should still be here, and also lots and lots of us peeps--and me, too.
Steve E

AN AA FRIDAY FOR STEVE E
ANOTHER SOBER ALCOHOLIC

Remember please, I am not relating this in any way but humbly, because it is through the Goodness and Grace of God, and with His Power I am here to tell it.

My day began with a prayer, this morning a bit different. Today I asked for a favor for ME, that God would give to me what I needed, a bit of healing through another alkie. I attended my morning meetings as usual. (Aren't you jealous that I'm retired and can make as many meetings as I want?)

Three-fourths through the second meeting I had to use the men's room. Leaving, I spotted my sponsor, just standing in the kitchen of the 24-Hr Club. Don't forget, we've each been sober well over 30 years. And he and I went for a "walk-and-talk" out into the parking lot and beyond. We had a heart-to-heart, which bordered at one point on severing our relationship. Our walk-talk ended in love, we hugged...(NO! we didn't KISS, asshole!) and we parted friends, and helpers of one another in our lives of sobriety. He is still my sponsor. My meeting ended without me.

I came home, read blogs, commented on blogs, began to write a blog. Practiced violin, but not for long. Nap time. A friend was speaker at the 5:30 meeting, so I attended that--I'm so glad I went. Another "good" friend was speaking at an 8 PM meeting, I told his fiancee I'd be there.

Bingo, then I remembered. A week ago I had made a commitment to help carry a meeting every Friday at 7 PM into our detox unit. So, I'd normally have been really upset, having signed myself to be in two places at once. Not so, something told me God would handle it.

The detox meeting was just what I needed to remind me of where I could be any given year or month. The poor creatures have no idea the Gift being extended to them by God. After that meeting, I had to decide where to go. (It was now 8 PM, my speaker-friend has already begun, 10 miles away.) I wanted to come home, get on the computer with my peeps, ya know. But something a sponsor long ago had said to me, "When I WANT to do something, do the the opposite and I'll usually be right." So I drove the ten miles, my friend was still speaking--he had the whole hour!

Here's the punch line. After the meeting, I was in line to shake hands with the speaker. He turned toward me, away from a group he was in, and told me, "Thanks! I KNEW you'd come!"

Well guys, that's all I needed to hear, to realize God had again done for me what I couldn't do for myself...He made a decision...for me! I left the building and came home to a warmed over, left-over supper, shaking my head and marveling at God's Greatness. Thank You. Can you think I'm not grateful? Can you think I'm not happy?

Well, THIS is the way I lived an AA day, in an AA way. Remember, I'm retired, and do have that certain freedom to roam, to BE there where I believe God wants me to be. Wouldn't you know, ALL long-timers who are happy live like this, it is not unusual. I'm finding out that even in the work of gratefulness, I'm certainly not alone.

Peace, and Love, Bloggers!
A happy, grateful Steve E

11 comments:

dAAve said...

superb!

Mary Christine said...

Thanks for the shout out, and thanks for showing me what my retired life might be like.

Sage Ravenwood said...

You are living proof, that it's possible to find the serenity we seek with our sobriety and to live it to the fullest. (Hugs)Indigo

One Prayer Girl said...

I just read your blog, you're sitting here right next to me, and I just said, "I love it".

Then you said, "I'm hoping it doesn't sound like I do this every day!"

And then I said.....,
"BUT YOU DO!!" :) :) :)

ME

Shadow said...

that's your day? what could be better????

wolfie185 said...

This what people need to hear and undeerstand, even after 30 years you still go to meetings, you still reach out your hand to other alcoholics and you are still happy joyous and free from doing these things. Thanks for sharing and carrying the message. I have pissed and moaned to myself about doing what you just describe, end the end I have to remember I stayed sober and help another in recovery, best of all I got out of self.

Zanejabbers said...

I LOVE THAT YOU'RE SITTING SIDE BY SIDE DOING YOUR BLOGS. An old song just came to mind:
Oh we ain't got a barrel of money
Maybe we're tired and funny
But we'll travel along
Singing our song
Side By Side.

Not too sure of the second line but you probably know the song.
So you had a double dip night.Good.
What was the warmed over dinner. It must be nice to come home to the lady you love with a prepared meal waiting for you. I'm sure she's on your gratitude list.

Michael said...

I have just been to Marys blog as well what a fantastic read, I am but at the beggining of my jouney with my fifth alcohol free year approaching, I have been doing a lot of soul searching in prayer and reading again I feel better for it.

Femin Susan said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing!
I really enjoyed reading this post. Keep writing..

Ed G. said...

I love watching that "intuitive thought or action" work in your life and mine.

Blessing and aloha.

Syd said...

I'm not retired today. But the glimpse of it gets closer and closer.