DRINKING ALCOHOL TAUGHT ME HOW TO FLY
THEN IT TOOK AWAY THE SKY

Monday, April 13, 2009

OUR BLOG FAMILY?

MY ANONYMOUS BLOG FAMILY:
ONLY THE FACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED

Please, in your prayers, mention Bess,
a dear friend of mine, who is in the hospital.
She IS in AA, but not (yet) a blogger.
She has an operable brain tumor.

TO MY SELF I'M TRUE
--AND TO OTHERS, TOO!

The thought of one day (soon in some cases!) meeting face-to-face with blog peeps excites me, really. A LOT! Being sober has given me a desire to meet new people, to share ideas alike or different from my own. I am a very outgoing person since being a sober member of Alcoholics Anonymous. 'Overbearing' is a more likely correct word -grin!

On the other hand--at the same time--I began to feel apprehensive about meeting some of you peeps. Are you really who I think you are? And does it even matter. Well it would matter, yes. If you are not who I 'know', who I 'see', who I believe, I will be completely disillusioned. One whole minute each day that thought makes me shudder. Look in a mirror? No! I AM me, and so that is not my fear.

A fellow blogger in a recent Email mentioned to me that his experiences in meeting many online friends finally face-to-face, proved to him that almost all of us ARE just like we blog. In other words, blogs of a loosely knit community of our type, expressing a common illness, and a common solution, well, our writings are a fairly accurate assessment of who we are, what we are, what we seek and how we think, as individuals.

As months roll by (do they ever roll!) I find that what I read that first day on here, is essentially what I'm reading today. I mean that, even with ups and downs, people are not different from who they really ARE. That sounded weird, but I read it again, and "I'll stand by it". Fact is we do not, as bloggers, represent ourselves as anybody else. We are all Popeye's "I yam whut I yam", peeps. Mostly!

And so, back to that deep-in-the-gut excitement--more like enthusiasm--I am again experiencing, I guess it will remain until the moments happen, those moments of meeting my FAMILY of YOU! And that's just the way I feel...it is what I KNOW!

God blesses you all. I do.
And God LOVES you all. So do I.
Sincerely,
Steve E.

16 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Amen to that. Wonderful post
Linda

Judith said...

I'm glad you're a yam, Steve. I love yams.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Bess.

Those online AA members I have met so far have been exactly the way they presented themselves and a joy to know.

Hugs

Mary LA

dAAve said...

I love yams too. I had some yesterday with a big bowl of spinach.

Lou said...

Our personalities are here on our blogs, no doubt about it.

Shadow said...

she's in my prayers.

Syd said...

I agree with Lou. We put who we are here through sharing our E, S, and H. And then there are the fun things that we write about of every day life. Or the zany stuff. It's all part of a personality. I'm glad that you started blogging because you add a lot to the entire experience.

One Prayer Girl said...

Hey - I'm that young, slim one with the gorgeous smile and radiant hair! -Grin-

Oops - what will I do when I meet some of you?

I know - I'll have a blast - that's what I'll do.

Prayer Girl

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

LOL :) I love you Steve!

If you trust God, and I know you do, there are no worries, if you are looking at hearts, you will always see the truth. Plus, I know God's power runs through you... There's this book series I read whenever I'm feeling sick or really really sad, it's from my childhood.

Anne of Green Gables...

One part that reminds me of you:

“You’re young and I’m old, but our souls are about the same age, I reckon. We both belong to the race that knows Joseph, as Cornelia Bryant would say,” said Captain Jim.

“The race that knows Joseph?” puzzled Anne.

“Yes. Cornelia divides all the folks in the world into two kinds– the race that knows Joseph and the race that don’t. If a person sorter sees eye to eye with you, and has pretty much the same ideas about things, and the same taste in jokes–why, then he belongs to the race that knows Joseph.”

“Oh, I understand,” exclaimed Anne, light breaking in upon her. “It’s what I used to call–and still call in quotation marks `kindred spirits.’”

“Jest so–jest so,” agreed Captain Jim. “We’re it, whatever it is. When you come in tonight, Mistress Blythe, I says to myself, says I, `Yes, she’s of the race that knows Joseph.’ And mighty glad I was, for if it wasn’t so we couldn’t have had any real satisfaction in each other’s company. The race that knows Joseph is the salt of the earth, I reckon.”

You, Steve-a-roni, are of the Race that knows Joseph! And because of that, I know you are exactly what and who I imagine you to be!

:)

Anonymous said...

Judith is hilarious. I don't like yams. But I DO like you.

Alive And Smiling (Jim) said...

Steve from personal experience, I think you'll find meeting your internet friends to be a wonderful experience. I discovered that many of them are not just internet friends but rather true friends in life, even if they live a world away.

I was struck by your saying, "what I read that first day on here, is essentially what I'm readying today." Last night at the meeting I attended, a guy was visiting from LA. He remarked that he travels all over and has attended AA meeting wherever he is visiting and he remarked that the people, the stories, the fears and the fellowship are the same no matter what time zone he is meeting in. Thanks for a great blog post today.

Ed G. said...

Prayers for Bess...

As a relatively recent addition to your blogger family (about 6 weeks), I'm still figuring out who I yam here. I'm just grateful to you, Mary, Syd, all those who've held the blogosphere open thus far so that I can find you.

I look forward to seeing you in God's good time...

Thanx again.

Blessings and aloha
Ed

Tammy said...

Steve I am so blessed to be part of your Blogger Family and to have you a part of mine. Thank you for your love, wisdom, and wit. Your friend is in my prayers Steve.
Love and Kindness,
~A

Just Be Real said...

You will have a "yaming good time Stevie!" Love the post!

clean and crazy said...

I am grateful to be a blogger, if you think I am not real just take a look at my last post. I put our egg hunt on there and it was totally amazing to be sharing with this community!! I am grateful for you too, I do sometimes get a comment from some not like able bloggers, i just delete them, that is what is wonderful about this you can delete the chaos!!

sarah said...

I dont think I've ever had a yam.. I'm sure all will be fine and you'll have a great time. Overbearing.. nah not even nearly.

Happy day Mr Bach.))

Selchie.)